The Lodge is located in the heart of the Regional Natural Park of the Pyrénées in the Ariège, a region that has kept many of its traditions and wilderness. The mountain landscape provides a breathtaking backdrop for numerous outdoor activities available throughout the year. You can also discover the rich history and culture of the area through its prehistoric caves, Cathar castles, medieval towns and Roman churches. Here some examples of local attractions to visit nearby and activities for all:
- Walking – many paths from the Lodge, the pilgrimage route GR78, mountain walks (including sections of the coast-to-coast GR10 route), peak walks (incl. the highest peak of the area: the Mont Valier at 2,838 m / 9,314 ft altitude).
- Skiing – nearest resorts in Guzet or les Mourtis.
- For children – Animal park, Reptile farm, Bison farm, Prehistoric Park, swimming pools, treetop ‘Go Ape’ park, cinema.
- Adventure sports – climbing, via ferrata, caving, water rafting, kayaking, canyoning, high-ropes parcours, pot-holing.
- Cycling – Tour de France stages: Col de la Core or Col d’Aspet; and off-road with many mountain bike tracks.
- Historical visits – Medieval Castles and Churches, the picturesque cities of St Lizier, Foix and Mirepoix.
- Rides- horse and donkey rides.
- Mountain Lakes and rivers – Bethmale lake, the Riberot valley, Etang de Lers.
- Local food – cheese and honey made in the village, and many other boutiques across the valley.
- Relaxation – Spa in Salies de Salat, Aulus-les-Bains and Ax-les-Thermes.
- Sports – Golf course and Tennis nearby.
- Fishing – Lake and river fishing.
- In the air – Fly in a glider or hot-air balloon. Paragliding in Moulis.
For more information, you can check out the Tourist Office website: www.tourisme-stgirons-stlizier.fr
Here are below some example activities.